Inspired by George Mueller’s life and testimony, the founders of the China Inland Mission went forth in faith – trusting in God to supply their needs.
Tomorrow will bring Tomorrow's1 God
Worried and doubting friends expressed their concern that with no committee to represent them at home, the missionaries would be forgotten in a distant land.
Hudson Taylor replied,
“I am taking my children with me, and I notice that it is not difficult for me to remember that the little ones need breakfast in the morning, dinner at noonday, and something before they go to bed at night. Indeed, I could not forget it. And I find it impossible to suppose that our Heavenly Father is less tender or mindful than I.”2
“And those who know Your name, will put their trust in You” (Psalm 9:10).
“Trust” means “to flee for protection, confide in, have hope, make refuge, be confident and sure.” 3
Harold Rushner said, “What is the difference between a person who relies only on himself and a person who has learned to turn to God for help? It’s not, one will do bad things, while the other will do some good things. The self-reliant atheist may be a fine, upstanding person. The difference is the atheist is like a bush growing in the desert. If he has only himself to rely on, when he exhausts his internal resources he runs the risk of running dry and withering. But the man or woman who turns to God is like a tree planted by a stream. What they share with the world is replenished from a source beyond themselves, so they never run dry.”4
A man, crossing a dreary moor, came upon a cottage which he visited. “Are you not afraid to live in this lonely place?” asked the visitor of the occupant. “Oh, no,” said he, “for faith closes the door at night, and mercy opens it in the morning.”5
“The closer you get to God, the less you understand Him. But the more you believe Him” (Corrie ten Boom).6
© 2016 D & L Publications, All rights reserved.
- Arthur W. Pink, The Life of Elijah, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, MI, Copyright 1956, p. 59
- Roger Steer, George Mueller, Delighted in God!, Harold Shaw Publishers, Wheaton, IL, Copyright 1975, pp.192 – 193
- Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, James Strong, S.T.D., LL.D., Royal Publishers, Inc., Nashville, TN, Dictionary of the Hebrew Bible, pp. 20 and 41, #’s 982 and 2620
- Harold Rushner, Who Needs God? (Summit), Readers Digest, November, 1996
- Walter B. Knight, Knight’s Master Book of New Illustrations, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, MI, Copyright 1956, p. 526
- Jamie Buckingham, Where Eagles Soar, Chosen Books Publishing Co., Ltd, Copyright 1980, p. 107