In the book Just As I Am, Billy Graham told of an experience he had in the nation of Romania in 1985: "Our first evangelistic meeting was near the northwestern city of Suceava, in the beautiful mountainous region of Moldavia, not far from the Soviet border. Here Metropolitan Teocitist of the Romanian Orthodox Church took me on a tour of several ancient Orthodox monasteries. They were unlike the cathedral I was familiar with in western Europe, where elaborate stained-glass windows depicted biblical passages and figures. In Romania, the monasteries did not have stained glass, but, instead, had equally elaborate paintings of frescoes, also based on biblical themes, on the outside walls. The paint had lasted for hundreds of years, just as brilliant now as when it had first been brushed on. One, in particular, I remember. Called ‘The Ladder Of Heaven,' it portrayed the final judgment. Angels were assisting pilgrims on their way up an inclined ladder leading to Heaven, while demons clung to their heels and tried to pull them off the ladder into the lake of fire."
In Revelation 12:9, 10, there are a series of revealing names given to our enemy, which are insights into his character and methods of warfare.
- The Great Dragon. This is his fierce nature. To the mind of ancient times, the dragon was a monster to be dreaded. He was cruel, ferocious, and malicious.
- That Old Serpent. This is his crafty nature. In 2 Corinthians 11:14, Paul stated, "Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light," meaning that his tactic is spiritual deception.
- The Devil. This is his accusing and slanderous nature. J. Oswald Sanders said, "Slander is one of his most potent weapons, and he delights when children of God engage in the same ministry of detraction!"
- Satan. This is his adversarial nature. He is the adversary of God, the Church, and the believer.
- The Accuser of the brethren. This is his lying nature. In Job 1:7, it is interesting to note that the expression "going to and fro on the earth," describes his wanderings, suggesting ‘going about as a spy," a commentary on his sinister activities.
D. L. Moody stated, "I believe Satan exists for two reason: first the Bible says so, and second, I've done business with him!"
1 Peter 5: 8,9, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith."
Dave Arnold, Pastor, Gulf Coast Worship Center, New Port Richey, Florida, 34654