What a tragedy, that so many Christians know very little about the Holy Spirit or hardly pay attention to Who He is and what His place is in the lives of God's people. Some refer to Him as the "Third Person" of the Trinity, as though He is the lesser of the Three. Not so.
There is equality in the Holy Trinity.
The Holy Spirit is One of the Three Persons of the Godhead, – a compound Unity – in the Trinity of God.
- God the Father is the Source of life and of all that has been divinely planned and created.
- He is the Originator of our salvation and our future. He is the Heavenly Administrator.
- God the Son is the Divine Alphabet–the "Alpha and Omega" (Rev. 1:11), the "Word" (Jn. 1:1).
- He reveals what the Father determines, and makes the Father's will clear. He is the exact expression of the Father (Jn. 14:9; Col. 1:15).
- God the Holy Spirit is the Energizer of the Word spoken by the Son.
- He is the Executor, the One Who brings God's plan to reality and fulfillment. The Holy Spirit was and is present at every Divine function.
From eternity past
- --"In the beginning" (Gen. 1:1,2), to the creation of the cosmos, and of man;
- -- to the establishment of Israel as a nation;
- -- to the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus;
- -- to the formation of the Church at Pentecost, and during its growth and development over the past 2000 years. He was there all the time.
He is still with the Church and will continue to be.
- -- through the Rapture and the 1000 year reign of the King of Kings on earth,
- -- on into eternity of the future. The Holy Spirit is the KEY to our success.
The Holy Spirit is all important to us – TODAY!
1. This was emphasized by Jesus: "I must go, so He can come" (Jn. 16:7)
2. The Spirit's work in and through us is described in John -- chaps. 14-16.
3. Even Jesus submitted to the Holy Spirit during His ministry on earth. –"Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit."..."The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me" (Lk.4:14, 18).
4. Jesus told His disciples, "I will send Him unto you" (Jn. 16:7). "He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you" (Jn. 14:17). "Tarry until...(Lk.24:).
The Holy Spirit is needed in ALL of our human experiences.
(He is sent to develop the Church – God's prized jewel)
- Throughout the LIFE of the Christian. The Spirit breathes life and energy into us, even as He did to the lifeless form of Adam. (Gen. 2:7). It is the Holy Spirit who imparts life to us and makes us "new creatures in Christ" (Jn. 3:5; 2 Cor. 5:17).
- In the GROWTH of the Christian.
- The believer must not remain a spiritual infant, "Grow in grace" (2 Pet. 3:18; 1 Pet.2:2; Eph. 4:13) The Spirit will lead us to spiritual maturity so that our life becomes an asset to the Kingdom of God.
- In the WORK of the Christian.
- Christians have an obligation and responsibility to God. "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness" (Mt. 6:33). We are to be "workers together" with Him in behalf of the Kingdom. Jesus told His disciples "Go" – "Be My witnesses." Our efforts apart from the power and anointing of the Holy Spirit are fruitless. Our education and varied programs, etc., may entertain and attract, but will not produce eternal results. The Spirit energizes us. He grants spiritual "gifts"–abilities (1 Cor.12). He gives revelations, produces "fruit" - character such as love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith (Gal. 5:22).
- In the BATTLE of the Christian.
- Paul reminds us that "We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" (Eph. 6:12). The enemy is not your normal human foe. The Bible characterizes him as "a roaring lion," "the serpent," "the dragon," " thief," " murderer." We are no match for him. Even Michael the archangel was careful when "contending with the devil...about the body of Moses" did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, "the Lord rebuke you." (Jude 9).
- But we are encouraged to resist and rebuke the devil. HOW? "By My Spirit, saith the Lord." Samson was a ordinary mortal, but what a powerhouse he became when "The Spirit of the Lord came upon him" (Judges 14:6). The same was true of the Lord's Apostles after the Day of Pentecost. The Spirit gives us faith, wisdom, courage, strength. "My brethren, be strong in the Lord , and in the power of His might" (Eph. 6:10). "Put on the whole armor of God" (Eph.6:11-18). This comes from the Holy Spirit.
- Victory is assured when the Holy Spirit is involved in our life. Satan is no match for God, –and the Holy Spirit is GOD. "If the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you" (Rom. 8:11). Apart from the Spirit's help, all of our "might" and natural abilities, can never overcome the enemy. "You shall receive power after the Holy Spirit comes on you" (Acts 1:8).
Conclusion: "By MY Spirit, saith The Lord" – not in any other way.
- We will need Him our entire life; for our spiritual growth, for our successful work, for victorious warfare against the enemy, and for a glorious completion of our responsibilities to God.
- We will need the Spirit's help. "Tarry until ye be endued with power from on high."
- "Be filled with the Spirit" "The people that know their God shall be strong and do exploits" (Dan. 11:32). "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength" (Isa. 40:31).
- SEEK HIM DAILY!