Have you ever been so worried that you couldn't sleep? Maybe your job is really stressful or a family member is sick. Worrying is a natural reaction, but lingering on it is unhealthy to both your spirit and your mind. You can waste hours doing nothing but thinking about the possibilities when worrying won't fix it. After all: Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? (Matthew 6:28)
Worry comes from fear of outcomes. We want things to turn out well and are afraid of them turning out badly. The good news is that God can give you peace of mind. All you have to do is pray. In your own words, ask him to help your situation and to take your worries away. The next step is to actually let go of those thoughts. He can't take them if you continue to cling to worry and think about all the possibilities. Trust that God is powerful enough to handle them and remember: The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. (Psalm 118:6a ) God knows how it will end. Trust Him to guide you in the way that is right. Trust that no matter what happens, He will take care of you. If you can truly let go of worrying thoughts, God is fully able to give you peaceful thoughts to replace them. And if you find yourself worrying again, remind yourself that God is in control.
Key Verses to Remember
Memorize some verses about worrying and fear:
- Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30 ESV)
- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (John 14:27 ESV)
- Cast your burden on the Lord,and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. (Psalm 55:22 ESV)God knows how it will end
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7 ESV)
- Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4 ESV)
- When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. (Psalm 56:3 ESV)
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV)
- When you feel anxious, reflect on the reassuring words. The Israelites, God's chosen people, wandered in the desert for 40 years. God took care of them the whole time, and He still had to remind them of it later. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10 ESV)
Remember that it's okay to worry, as long as you immediately give those concerns to God and don't dwell on them ever again. He has everything under control. The next time you start to worry, remember that everything will be okay, and pray for peace. Put your trust in God and He will never let you down.
Lauren is a freelance writer in Springfield, Missouri.