Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer, the founder of Dallas Theological Seminary, was a unique man.
On one occasion, in Dallas, he was asked to speak at a banquet.
There were a lot of preliminaries, music, announcements, and presentations.
By the time Dr. Chafer stepped to the podium, the banquet had already been in session for over three hours.
Dr. Chafer greeted everyone, then said,
“I had prepared a somewhat lengthy message, but the hour is late, and I will not detain you. Therefore, I am going to present just the three-point outline of the message, and let the Holy Spirit speak to us out of that outline.
My subject is ‘The Reasonableness of Fully Surrendering Our Lives to God.’
- Reason number one: He is all-wise, and knows better than anyone else what is best for my life.
- Reason number two: He is almighty, and has the power to accomplish that which is best for me.
- Reason number three: He loves me more than anyone else in the world loves me.
Conclusion: therefore, the most logical thing for the Christian to do is to surrender his life completely to God. What more can I say? What more need I say?”
Then, he sat down. That was his message.1
Moses told the people of Israel, “Consecrate yourselves today to the Lord” (Exodus 32:29).One meaning of “consecrate” is "submission to the Lord".
One meaning of “consecrate” is “submission to the Lord.”2
Vance Havner wrote, “One writer has said that the word ‘Lord’ is one of the most lifeless words in the Christian vocabulary. Yet, Dr. A. T. Robertson said that the Lordship of Christ is the touchstone of our faith. G. Campbell Morgan called it ‘the central verity of the church.’
When a Jewish convert in the early church said, “Jesus is Lord,” he meant that Jesus was his God; and when a Gentile believer said, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ he meant that Caesar was no longer his god.”3
“Most people wish to serve God, but in an advisory capacity.”4
Copyright © 2015 D & L Publications, All rights reserved.
- David Jeremiah, God In You, Releasing The Power Of The Holy Spirit In Your Life, Multnomah Publications, Inc., and in association with the literary agency of Yates & Yates, 505 S. Main, Suite 1000, Orange, CA., 92668, Copyright 1998, p. 83.
- Al Novak, Hebrew Honey, J. Countryman Publishers, P. O. Box 90776, Houston, TX., 77290, Copyright 1987, p. 48.
- Vance Havner, The Best Of Vance Havner, Fleming H. Revell Company, Old Tappan, NJ. Copyright 1969, pp. 123 – 124.