Too many teens make the wrong assumption that prescription drugs are safe...
Research has indicated that illegal drug use among teenagers is declining...not by much, but it does show a decline. This is good! HOWEVER...these same studies show the abuse of prescription drugs, especially pain killers, is INCREASING! This is bad!
Too many teens make the wrong assumption that prescription drugs are safe, when in fact they are also highly addictive and can and do cause severe side effects and more!
The following are some statistics regarding teen drug and alcohol abuse:
- Underage drinking costs the United States more than $58 BILLION every year! This is just in one nation...think of what it must cost world wide!
- 40% of those who started drinking at age 13 or younger developed alcohol dependence later in life. 10% who began drinking at age 17 developed dependence.
- Teens that drink are 50 times more likely to use cocaine or meth than teens who never consume alcohol.
- Alcohol kills 7 times more teens than all other illicit drugs combined.
- More than 60% of teens said that drugs were sold, used, or kept at their school.
- Teens whose parents talk to them on a regular basis about the dangers of drug use are 42% less likely to use drugs than those whose parents don't.
- 20% of 8th graders report that they have tried marijuana.
- 63% of teens who drink say they got it from their own or a friend's home.
THOSE ARE SOME PRETTY SCARY STATISTICS! Take them for what they are...a word of warning to the wise! Learn to say NO always! NO is always better than addiction!
(Statistics are from TEEN DRUG ABUSE)
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (I Corinthians 6:19-20).