Encouragement...the Gift For Everyone!
ENCOURAGEMENT...THE GIFT FOR EVERYONE!
The song, "Home on the Range" has been called the "anthem of the West." Life's realities or words are not always quite as encouraging as the lyrics tell us and not all days are cloudless. We live in a world where there are too many people who only seem to be interested in the negative in all situations. Listen to some discouraging words:
- After FRED ASTAIRE'S first screen test, a 1933 memo from the testing director at MGM said: "Can't act. Slightly bald. Can dance a little." Astaire framed that memo and hung it over his fireplace...oh yes, this director is nameless.
- An "expert" wrote about the legendary football coach, VINCE LOMBARDI, "He possesses minimal football knowledge. Lacks motivation."
- LOUISA MAY ALCOTT, author of the famous "Little Women" books was advised by her family to give up writing and find real work as a servant or seamstress.
- BEETHOVEN played the violin awkwardly and preferred playing his own compositions instead of improving his technique. His violin teacher called him "hopeless as a composer."
- WALT DISNEY was fired by a newspaper because "he lacked ideas." He went bankrupt several times before building Disneyland.
These have persevered in the face of discouragement. On the other side of the coin...think of the people who HAVE accomplished much in life with and because of words of encouragement! Encouragement is a positive part of our human existence! So I ask you: ARE YOU A DIS-COURAGER OR AN EN-COURAGER?
"For you know that we dealt with each of you...ENCOURAGING, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God" (I Thessalonians 2:11-12)!