My father's quick answer to people who attempted to witness to him about salvation was: "Don't try to change my religion. I believe in God. I go to church; I donate to its causes; I believe in the Virgin Mary and the saints. I'm not a bad man; I try to be a good neighbor. My father, grandfather and great-grandfather were religious people, and I'm not about to change." Dad did not feel he needed to be saved as long as he fulfilled his religious "obligations." Frankly, he didn't understand salvation. (But he did later).
God's Word says, "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Rom. 3:23). "There is none righteous, no not one" (Rom. 3:10) Read Gal. 3:22; Isa. 64:6; 1 Jn. 1:8). Every person is a condemned sinner who needs to be saved, or else must face judgment. But God "is not willing that any should perish (2 Pet. 3:9). That's why Jesus came -- "To seek and to save that which was lost" (Lk. 19:10; 1 Tim. 1:15).
"What must I do to be saved" (Acts 16:30)
Popular singer Frank Sinatra's favorite song was, "I'll do it my way." But to be saved, it must be God's way. We can't save ourselves; -- only God can save us..." by the name of Jesus Christ...crucified, whom God raised from the dead....neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:10-12).
Ways which will not save you
1. Not through humanitarian deeds and philanthropies. It is impossible to earn or buy your salvation. (Gal. 2:16; Eph. 2:9)
. 2. Not through church membership and attendance One can dutifully attend church, yet not be saved (Mt. 7:21; Lk. 6:46).
3. Not through faith in, or the intercession of the Virgin Mary or any of the saints in our behalf. All of them needed salvation themselves. (Jn. 14:6; 1 Tim. 2:5). They have no power to save.
4. Not by the observance of religious ceremonies, litergies or pilgrimages (Mk.7:6).
5. Not by depending on "Novenas" to pray for our salvation after we are dead. (Heb. 9:27). "Now is the day of salvation" (2 Cor. 6:2)
6. Not by administering the "last rites" to us by a priest or minister.
7. Not by just believing that God exists. (James 2:19).
The only way to be saved
1. By believing God's Word -- the Holy Bible. Read it. "The word of our God shall stand forever" (Isa. 40:8; Mt. 24:35). One can be spiritually born again only, "by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever" (1. Pet. 1:23). "Thy Word is truth" (Jn.17:17).
2. By believing Jesus is the Son of God. (Matt 27:54)
3. By asking Jesus to be your Savior. (Romans 10:13)