Purpose: To teach that we must be faithful and carry Christ with us every day. There will be days Christ carries us, days when it will be hard to take Him with us and days when we help others to carry Christ. As Christians we must choose to live like Jesus every day whether they are good or bad.
Items you will need:
1. Two 6 to 10 feet pieces of rope (you can also just use chalk on the carpet)
2. A large room or a large space outside
3. 10 to 20 wood blocks – .5" height and 6" wide (large enough to step on and jump to)
4. 5 or more people (the more the better so get the neighbors)
Lay out as follows:
Using the blocks your team must start at one end and then go the other end without touching the Ground. (Or imaginary Hot Lava!) By laying the blocks on the ground and stepping on top of them.
First team to get everyone across wins!
1. Divided the participants into two teams. (if you can)
a. Each team or if you don't have enough for two teams only gets 5 to 7 blocks
This is a challenge so feel free to increase the number of blocks based on the distance of the rope and the number of people you have. This also should be a goal that is obtainable but very challenging so you may need to add or take away blocks. You know you have enough blocks when they have to jump to most of them.
2. Start the race with the leader shouting "Go!"
3. Each team must reach the other rope WITH OUT TOUCHING THE GROUND by stepping on the blocks. They team must figure out how to do this on their own. (This usually starts by the first team member placing a block on the ground then stepping on it, then another team member handing them a new block, then the first team member places that block down on the ground towards the goal then steps on that one. Until they reach the end)
4. One person cannot walk and must be carried across.
Again if more people playing this can be increased. But you will always need at least to carry 1 person no matter how small your group is.
5. Any one touches the ground the WHOLE TEAM starts all over.
6. The team whose last team member reaches the rope first wins the game.
After the game
1. Read the key verses.
· Col: 1-2 - To the holy and faithful brothers in Christ at Colosse.
· Luke : 9:23 Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." The Colossians where faithful, they took Jesus with them everywhere. They understood they would be better off by having Christ with them throughout their day and night.
2. Ask the person who was carried.
· What was it like when someone was caring you?
· Did you like being carried?
· How does Jesus carry you?
3. Ask the carrier
· How was it carrying someone?
· Did you like carrying someone?
· Was it hard to carry them?
· Did anyone help you carry the person?
· Did you need help?
· As Christians we need to be faithful and carry Jesus with us every day.
· Sometimes he will carry us and also sometimes we need others to help us continue to be faithful.
· Being faithful is carrying Jesus with us every day and some days it is going to be harder than others but that is what a Christian does. They are faithful to carry Jesus with them no matter what.
Ask the Class
· How do you carry Jesus with you?
· When has Jesus Carried you?
· When have others helped you stay faithful to Jesus?