Chapter 19 opens with the exact month and time. God does everything for a purpose. For some reason, He wanted us to know that it was three months to the very day since the Israelites had left Egyptian bondage until they entered the Desert of Sinai and camped in front of the mountain.
God was preparing Moses to receive His laws, which He wanted the Israelites to live by then, and He wants us to live by today. Never forget the hand of God wrote these laws and they are the Ten Commandments, not the Ten Suggestions! God means every word in them.
In verse 3 Moses went up on the mountain and talked to God. God told Moses to tell the people, ''Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession'” (19:5). So Moses went down and gathered all the people and told them what God had said. The people said they would do all that God had commanded. Moses went back to the Lord with the people's answer.
God again told Moses to go to the people and have them consecrate themselves that day and the next day and to wash their clothes and be ready on the third day. So Moses went down to the people and told them what God had said, and they did as the Lord had commanded.
On the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast (19:16). Moses led the people to the foot of the mountain, and the Lord God descended on it in fire. God called Moses to the top of the mountain and told him to warn the people not to come up on the mountain or they would die.
Then in verse 24 God told Moses, ''Go down and bring Aaron up with you. But the priests and the people must not force their way through to come up to the Lord, or he will break out against them.'”
In verses 2-17 of chapter 20 God gave Moses the Ten Commandments as listed below.
1. 'You shall have no other gods before me.” This simply means that God is God and we should not look to any other being as God.
2. 'You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them.” This is very easy to understand. Do not put anything before God or worship anything!
3. 'You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.” I think we all know what that means.
4. 'Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.” This is the Lord's Day.
5. 'Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.” Again, this explains itself.
6. 'You shall not murder.” Do not take another human life.
7. 'You shall not commit adultery.” If someone is married, the person's spouse is the only one he or she should be with.
8. 'You shall not steal.” This needs no explanation!
9. 'You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.” Don't lie about your neighbor; be trustworthy and truthful.
10. 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house.” The word 'covet” here means 'desire” or 'lust after.”
When the people heard the thunder and saw the lightning from the mountain they trembled with fear. Moses told the people not to be afraid. Their fear made them remain at a distance from the mountain.
Then God told Moses to tell the Israelites, ''Do not make any gods to be alongside me; do not make for yourselves gods of silver or gods of gold'” (vv. 22-23). Then God told them to build an altar to Him.Read the Ten Commandments carefully, and then fill in the blanks on the worksheet and on the 'Go to the Word” sheet. May God bless you as you study His Word.
_____ months after the Israelites left Egyptian bondage, they entered the Desert of Sinai and camped in front of the ________ (19:1-2).
After Moses talked to ___ on the mountain, he went down and told the people what God had said. The people said they would do all that God had _________ (19:7-8).
The Lord descended to the top of Mount _____ and called Moses to the top of the mountain (19:20).
1. 'You shall have no other ____ before me” (20:3).
2. 'You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in ______ above or on the _____ beneath or in the ______ below. You shall not bow down to them or _______ them” (20:4-5).
3. 'You shall not ______ the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who _______ his name” (20:7).
4. 'Remember the _______ day by keeping it holy” (20:8).
5. 'Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live ____ in the land the Lord your God is giving you” (20:12).
6. 'You shall not ______” (20:13).
7. 'You shall not commit ________” (20:14).
8. 'You shall not _____” (20:15).
9. 'You shall not give _____ testimony against your neighbor” (20:16).
10. 'You shall not _____ your neighbor's house” (20:17).
Memory Verse: 'I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching” (Proverbs 4:2).
Exodus 19 to 20
Match each Scripture reference below with the correct verse, and then fill in the missing words.
Exodus 20:12 Exodus 20:25 Exodus 20:23 Exodus 19:7
Exodus 19:17 Exodus 19:21 Exodus 20:1-2 Exodus 19:5
'So Moses went back and ________ the elders of the people and set before Exodus ______
them all the words the Lord had _________ him to speak.”
'Then Moses led the ______ out of the camp to meet with God, and they Exodus ______
_____ at the foot of the mountain.”
'And the ____ said to him, 'Go down and warn the people so they do not Exodus ______
_____ their way through to see the Lord and many of them perish.'”
''Honor your ______ and your ______, so that you may live long in the Exodus ______
''If you make an _____ of stones for me, do not build it with dressed Exodus ______
stones, for you will ______ it if you use a tool on it.'”
''Do not make any ____ to be alongside me; do not make for __________ Exodus ______
gods of silver or gods of gold.'”
'And God spoke all these _____: 'I am the Lord your God, who brought Exodus ______
you out of Egypt, out of the land of _______.'”
''Now if you ____ me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all _______ Exodus ______you will be my treasured possession.'”