There is a sleeping giant within our churches. It is the collective spiritual power of the men in your congregation, particularly those who rarely come. We often emphasize the spiritual leadership of men, yet to be frank, few men are stepping up to the plate.
We need to purposefully move men into a deeper relationship with God, and with each other – and I believe in the importance of this so much that we are dedicating this entire ToolBox issue to men's ministry. My hope is that you will give serious thought to improving, expanding - or starting - your men's ministry.
In the meantime, I've reprinted below our Saddleback Staff Standards. As Christian leaders, we need to be above reproach.
Paul wrote, "Don't be so naive and self-confident. You're not exempt. You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else. Forget about self-confidence; it's useless. Cultivate God-confidence." (1 Cor. 10:12, Msg)
We established these in the early years of Saddleback Church to help staff members maintain moral integrity. You may adapt these for use in your own church.
Saddleback Staff Standards
* Thou shalt not go to lunch alone with the opposite sex.*
* Thou shalt not have the opposite sex pick you up or drive you places when it is just the two of you.*
* Thou shalt not kiss any attender of the opposite sex or show affection that could be questioned.*
These first three above do not apply to unmarried staff.
* Thou shalt not visit the opposite sex alone at home.
* Thou shalt not counsel the opposite sex alone at the office, and thou shalt not counsel the opposite sex more than once without that person's mate. Refer them.
* Thou shalt not discuss detailed sexual problems with the opposite sex in counseling. Refer them.
* Thou shalt not discuss your marriage problems with an attender of the opposite sex.
* Thou shalt be careful in answering emails, instant messages, chatrooms, cards, or letters from the opposite sex.
* Thou shalt make your secretary your protective ally.
* Thou shalt pray for the integrity of other staff members.