If somebody asks you what time it is, tell him it’s ‘until
A renowned, veteran minister wrote, “I’m not waiting for the abolition of war and poverty or urban renewal. I’m living in the great ‘until.’ If somebody asks you what time it is, tell him it’s ‘until.’ He might look at you funny, but it will give you a chance to get in a word. We are living in the great ‘until.’”
The Bible speaks of the “great until” many times. Note:
- 1. We are waiting “till” His enemies are made His footstool” (Psalm 110:1).
- We are told to “Do business (occupy) till” He comes (Luke 19:13).
- We are waiting “until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled” (Luke 21:24).
- We are admonished to “judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes”(1 Corinthians 4:5).
- We “proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes,” when partaking of communion (1 Corinthians 11:26).
- We are waiting “till He has put all enemies under His feet” (1 Corinthians 15:25).
- We remain “confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:6).
- We are to “be sincere and without offense till the day of Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:10).
- We are waiting until He subdues “all things to Himself” (Philippians 3:21).
- We are told to “hold fast what you have till I come” (Revelation 2:25).
Dean Farrar was a privileged person and friend of Queen Victoria, though he seldom referred to the distinction. However, on the first anniversary of the accession of Edward VII to the throne of England, during the service in Canterbury Cathedral, he told how the Queen, after hearing one of her chaplains preach at Windsor on the second coming of Christ, spoke to the Dean about it.
She said, “Oh, how I wish that the Lord would come during my lifetime.”
The great preacher asked, “Why does your Majesty feel this very earnest desire?”
With her queenly countenance lit up, and with deep emotion, she replied,
“Because I should so love to lay my crown at His feet!”
Dave Arnold, Pastor
Gulf Coast Worship Center
New Port Richey , Florida 34654